Saturday, March 10, 2007

A new look

I found this story on gangrey.com, which is a site you should all check out as much as you can. Diane and Lon mentioned it when they were here. Anyway, I think this story, told by a reporter at the St. Petersburg Times, is an amazing way to tell the story of charity, and what exactly it means.

The "character" is anonymous, but I don't think it lessens the story in any way. Her story could be any story of someone abused. And the theme of her long hair, which her husband never let her cut, could be anything. It could be the short skirt a boyfriend doesn't let his girlfriend wear, a phrase an abusive parent doesn't let his or her kid say. This story really spoke to me and reminded me why we should never stop caring or thinking of others. I'm an emotional person anyway, but it really brought a tear to my eye.

4 comments:

  1. wow megan that's am amazing find. it made me teary, and that's really saying something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this story, too. And I like how they let the reader know that that the information was verified through public records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The writer picked such great details to really make the story come alive. You get to know this woman through the memories she relays: what type of flowers were at her wedding, the three snips from the ponytail, the husband calling her "baby," what she made for dinner the night she left. Either this woman rambled on a lot, or the writer was asking fantastic questions. I really liked the story.

    ReplyDelete