Saturday, November 3, 2007

Inspiration

From Jacqui Banaszynski, Pulitzer Prize winner, former Seattle Times senior editor, now teaching with Poynter and at U. of Missouri:

"Stories are our prayers. Write and edit them with due reverence, even when the stories themselves are irreverent.

"Stories are parables. Write and edit and tell yours with meaning, so each tale stands in for a larger message, each story a guidepost on our collective journey.

"Stories are history. Write and edit and tell yours with accuracy and understanding and context and with unwavering devotion to the truth.

"Stories are music. Write and edit and tell yours with pace and rhythm and flow. Throw in the dips and twirls that make them exciting, but stay true to the core beat. Readers hear stories with their inner ear.

"Stories are our soul. Write and edit and tell yours with your whole selves. Tell them as if they are all that matters. It matters that you do it as if that's all there is."

-From "Telling True Stories," edited by Mark Kramer and Wendy Call.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap that's deep stuff. But so great.

    As for this book, take your time finishing because I think I'm gonna just have to buy my own copy -- after reading snippets you've tempted me with, I've concluded I'll be too compelled to underline passages. Plus, it looks like the kind of book I'll want to have my very own copy of anyway.

    ReplyDelete