Sunday, July 13, 2008

Serial reader

I read the first chapter of a Washington Post investigation of the 2001 murder of intern Chandra Levy. Good stuff.

Besides awesome reporting and writing, this series has a cool online presentation that includes lots of layers (here, here and here, to name a few).

I only wish the first chapter was a bit longer. It's three Web pages; not sure what that adds up to in inches. Just as I was getting into the story it was over. I know it's the point of a serial, and maybe it's just me, but I hate being yanked away from a story like that. I'll return in 12 days and read it all in one shot.

I suppose with such a famous unsolved crime you can afford to leave readers hanging without running the risk of turning them off. What do you think?

Update: Be sure to check out comments from readers on the later chapters. They are arguing the merits of the story, whether it should be parceled out as a series and the writing style.

2 comments:

  1. You totally can. But I'm with you in that I'd wait till it's done and then go back and read the whole thing. I have no patience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys totally ruin the whole concept of serial narratives! you're nuts. (although, i admit, it's hard to wait for the next part. but if the writer did their job, it's worth the wait).

    ReplyDelete