Friday, May 22, 2009

Simple minds wander (subtitle: How poetry happens)

This morning I asked Kara about something, and she told me she didn't handle that anymore.

So I called her a slacker.

She responded:

Ode to a slacker
I am a slacker
'Tis true
But I learned all I know
From watching you.

Which, of course, meant I had to respond in kind:

I'm a mentor of slackers, it's said
Leading others to lessen their workload.
Were it not for your inspiration, however,
I'd be accomplishing things by the boatload.

The point of all this being, give yourself permission to take a creative break during your day, even if (perhaps especially if) what you're being creative about isn't for the YDR.

5 comments:

  1. Writing on his blog is fun,

    Even if it means Scott doesn't get all his work done.

    But, chances are, he'll say

    It was all in the name of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing on this blog is part of Scott's job! (and all of ours, actually).

    Thanks for sharing this -- too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparring with Kara in verse

    Can only turn out for the worst.

    Even if I could claim 'I'm the winner,'

    I still won't get home before dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we were in high school

    We certainly would not be cool

    The popular kids would say we're nerds

    For making fun of each other with words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finally back to this game

    Didn't quit, despite what you've heard.

    I'll never work harder at anything

    Than making certain I have the last word.

    ReplyDelete